ALMH's speech pathologist specializes in the evaluation and treatment of a variety of communication and swallowing disorders.
Communication-based programs help children express their thoughts, ideas, and needs through speech and/or alternative communication.
Articulation programs help children learn to speak more clearly and reduce frustration when talking.
Voice programs help reduce vocal abuse behaviors and reduce damage to the vocal cords.
Adult swallowing programs address finding the least restrictive diet consistency and compensatory strategies to maintain safety and pleasure when eating.
Speech therapy programs can also help when injury or illness affects your ability to speak or swallow or impacts your memory or problem-solving abilities.
Speech therapists help you recover by:
- Conducting an evaluation to identify problems
- Customizing a treatment program to address your needs
- Providing therapy services to help you meet your goals
- Recommending adaptive equipment necessary to facilitate communication
- Implementing a home program to maximize the best possible outcome
The speech pathologist at ALMH provides the following services:
- Inpatient Speech and Swallowing Therapy
- Outpatient Speech and Swallowing Therapy
- Video Oral Pharyngeal Swallow Studies
- Vital Stim (electrical stimulation to help recover swallowing function)
- Early Intervention Speech Therapy (birth to 3 years) in the clinic, community and home settings
- Pediatric Speech Therapy in the clinic for children 3 years old and older)
What to Bring To Your Appointment
- Insurance card
- Photo ID
- List of medications you're currently taking
- List of allergies
- List of prior illnesses or surgeries that may relate to your current condition
- A completed consent form provided by the Rehabilitation Department
- Goals you would like to achieve
- Positive attitude