The knowledgeable and experienced rehabilitation and physical therapy team at ALMH creates great patient experiences and achieves great outcomes, as evidenced by national rankings for patient outcomes.
Physical therapists focus on decreasing/relieving your symptoms or pain and improving strength, endurance, flexibility, motor control and stability to so that you can return to normal, functional activities. Their interventions also include patient education about the mechanism of injury, recovery process and preventing re-injury.
Physical therapists treat people who have functional impairments or pain resulting from orthopedic problems, such as fractures or joint replacements, or just general back, neck, arm and leg pain. Physical therapists also treat burns, wounds, amputations and arthritis. Neurological problems including stroke, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury and multiple sclerosis may respond to physical therapy.
ALMH's physical therapy team helps you recover by:
- Evaluating your current level of function
- Designing a specialized treatment program to meet your needs
- Training you in proper techniques to facilitate your recovery process
- Providing education to you and your family
ALMH provides treatment in the following specialty areas:
- Wound care – We provide comprehensive assessment and treatment of acute and chronic wounds arising from diabetes, vascular conditions, pressure, and trauma.
- Aquatic therapy -- Rehab staff use the pool to provide arthritis treatments and injury rehabilitation for patients, strengthening their muscles without pain.
- Amputee care/prosthetic training
- Neuro rehabilitation
- Industrial Rehabilitation (limited scope)
- Vestibular /Balance rehab -- Therapists utilize dynamic surfaces and multi-sensory exercises to help restore a patient's sense of balance and integrate the body's balance systems. A Proprio 5000 system is used to further assess and treat sensory integration problems.
- Wheelchair clinic
- Concussion rehabilitation provided by ImPACT certified therapists
Physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy appointments all require a referral from your physician. Your physician's office may call to set up your first visit or give you a referral and ask you to schedule your first appointment.
To cancel or reschedule your appointment, please call 217-605-5500 as soon as possible.
You can save time by preregistering. To preregister, please call 217-605-5109 between the hours of 8:00 AM – 6:30 PM, Monday through Friday; and between 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM on Saturday. You will need your current insurance cards at the time of preregistration.
Orders should be faxed to 217-732-3101.
Please check with your insurance plan to determine your plan's coverage for therapy services. Some plans require pre-authorization before therapy begins. Other plans don't require pre-authorization but have a maximum number of visits or a maximum amount of billed services that are covered. Some insurance policies require co-pays for each visit; others do not. It's important for you to understand your individual coverage and advise your therapist so plans for your care can be made accordingly.
What To Bring To Appointment
- Insurance card
- Photo ID
- List of medications you're currently taking
- List of allergies
- List of prior illnesses or surgeries that may relate to your current condition
- Completed consent form - click here to download, fill out and print the consent form
- Comfortable, roomy clothes
- Goals you would like to achieve
- Positive attitude
What to Expect
Your first appointment is an evaluation. Your therapist will determine your deficits and if your condition will improve with therapy. You'll work together to set up a treatment plan and schedule additional appointments as needed. All information regarding your treatment is communicated to your referring physician.
The length of your visit and the number of recommended visits depend on the nature and severity of your condition. Following your therapist's recommendations when you're not in therapy, including doing your home-based exercises, is critical to your recovery process.
For more information about physical therapy services at ALMH, please call 217-605-5500.