Memorial Health System Community Benefit Annual Report
As a not-for-profit, community owned healthcare organization, we take seriously the responsibility entrusted to us. Our mission guides us as we help the people and communities we serve. It is a mission that we live out in a variety of ways.
We recognize our responsibility for providing the highest quality healthcare, regardless of one's ability to pay. ALMH provides important and meaningful resources to help ensure that those who are without health insurance receive the care they need when confronted with illness or injury.
We also recognize that unfortunate occasions arise when patients are not able to pay for their medical care and are not eligible for federal or state medical assistance programs. Through our patient financial assistance program, ALMH help to patients unable to pay for their medical services.
As a tax-exempt organization, the ALMH staff also returns benefits to our communities through many community service projects, as well as health education and prevention initiatives such as:
- Weekly free blood pressure screenings.
- Free screenings at the community wellness expo, including lipid profile, blood sugar, pulse oximeter and diabetes education.
- Monthly diabetes support groups.
- Storm shelters and cooling centers for community members and travelers in need.
- Clinical internships for students nearing degree completion.
- Weekly breastfeeding support group meetings.
- Community education events.
- The ALMH Market, a producer-only farmers market increasing access to local produce in addition to children's activities, fitness opportunities and cooking demonstrations.
- A wide variety of programs and events held through the ALMH Community Health Collaborative that address health concerns specific to our community.
In all, ALMH provided $9.1 million in community benefits to the citizens of Logan and eastern Mason counties in FY2018. That total includes $6.0 million in unpaid Medicaid, $724,000 in patient financial assistance and $2.4 million to fund other community health activities.
In FY2018, ALMH completed a community health needs assessment, identifying four priorities:
- Mental Health
- Substance Abuse
To learn more about the needs assessment and ALMH's implementation strategy to address these priorities, go to ChooseMemorial.org/HealthyCommunities.