About the Project
For many years, ALMH did its best to adapt to a building constructed for an era in healthcare when most patients came to the hospital to stay for days, if not weeks. Over the last 15 years, however, the hospital experienced dramatic growth in outpatient visits, with nearly 160 outpatient procedures performed daily at ALMH.
The aging building had obvious limitations. Nearly every department struggled with space constraints that made growth as well as advances in technology and privacy a constant challenge. Despite those challenges, the people who work inside it have been saving lives every day since 1954. They've taken seriously the mission to improve the health of the people and communities they serve.
Today, those talented and compassionate healthcare workers have the privilege of serving the community in new facility better equipped to preserve ALMH's mission today and for generations to come.
About 300 community members attended a groundbreaking ceremony at the replacement hospital campus on Business 55 adjacent to the Logan County Fairgrounds. The architectural firm of Pansing Nolan Matlock Ltd. designed the facility and The Core Group was project engineer. The contractor Harold O'Shea Builders of Springfield began construction of the new $50-million, 116,000-square-foot hospital in July 2009. View construction updates.
With a continuous hum of equipment, the expanse of central Illinois farm field quickly transformed into a busy construction site. In late 2009, ALMH celebrated a milestone in the construction with the dedication of a cornerstone. Construction forged ahead on schedule, despite above-average rainfall throughout May and June. About 100 workers were onsite during peak construction.